First electric plane – level 3
After months of delay, company Eviation debuted its all-electric aircraft named Alice. The prototype flew for eight minutes above central Washington, US.
The plane can carry nine passengers and one or two pilots, and it’s powered by 21,500 small Tesla-style battery cells. The batteries weigh just over 4 tonnes, and they make up half the weight of the aircraft. According to the company, the plane significantly reduces noise, and it costs a fraction to operate, compared to light jets or high-end turboprops. Eviation hopes to use a 30-minute charge for an hour-long flight.
The technology is very new, and the hope is to develop a zero-emission and sustainable era in aviation. However, at this moment, Eviation is uncertain if it can make money, which is necessary to become a common way of air travel.
Difficult words: debut (to appear or perform in public for the first time), prototype (the first example of something), turboprop (a jet engine that uses a turbine).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos