First Person Gets a Vaccine – level 1
Margaret Keenan is 90 years old. She is the first person in the world who gets the coronavirus vaccine. Margaret comes from the UK. The second person who gets the vaccine is William Shakespeare. He is 81 years old. He comes from the UK, too.
The UK is the first country which starts to vaccinate people officially against the coronavirus. December 8 becomes a very important day. Officials say that December 8 is the start of the end of the pandemic.
Some people are not so optimistic. They worry that the vaccine is not safe. They say that the tests must be longer. Officials say that the vaccine is safe. They want to vaccinate all people who are 80 years old or more.
Difficult words: vaccine (an injection that stops a person from getting a disease), vaccinate (to give people an injection so that they do not get a disease in the future), optimistic (when a person believes that good things will happen).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.