First real hoverboard – level 3
A company in California claims to have created the world’s first real hoverboard.
ARX PAX has developed a hoverboard prototype called Hendo, as well as Hendo Hover Engine developer kits, thanks to a kick-starter campaign to raise $250,000.
And they plan on selling their technology to the general public as well. In fact, if you pledge $100 to the campaign, the company are offering a 5 minute ride on a hoverboard from March next year.
For a cool $10,000 pledge, though, you could own your very own hoverboard. But you won’t get it until October 2015.
Hendo can hover about 1 inch off the ground and this is the 18th prototype. So how does it work?
Well, the hoverboard has four disc-shaped hover engines and these create a special magnetic field which pushes against itself, causing the lift which levitates the board off the ground.
But if you’re not ready to hand over the cash just yet, the team has also developed a starter kit for the white box, which is the same technology, but in a white box.
Difficult words: claim (say), kick-starter (website where people donate money to help projects happen), pledge (give), disc (circular), magnetic field (invisible area that pushes or pulls).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.