Fish from a lab – level 3
A San Francisco-based cellular agriculture startup company has revealed the latest prototype of its cell-based salmon.
The fish is made with real salmon cells that are grown in a brewery-like system in stainless steel tanks. A scaffold made from plant-based ingredients help the cells organize into a recognizable fish fillet shape. The company says that it aims to protect wild salmon and the oceans and help solve global food insecurity.
Salmon is the second most consumed seafood after shrimp, and it´s the most consumed finfish. While demand for seafood is at an all-time high, wild fish continue to plummet, and salmon farms face warming coastal waters due to climate change. Fish are declining and there´s been a lot of movement toward alternative proteins. The lab-grown salmon will provide the same nutritional benefits as wild-caught fish without contaminants such as mercury, microplastics or antibiotics.
Difficult words: cellular agriculture (the production of animal-sourced foods from cell culture), prototype (the first example of a new idea), scaffold (a structure that is used to support materials during building or repair), plummet (to fall quickly), contaminant (a polluting or poisonous substance that makes something impure).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.