Flamethrower you use at home – level 1
A company in America produces something new. The company names it the XM42. It is a flamethrower. Anyone can buy it. It costs about 699 dollars (469 pounds). It shoots fire up to 25 feet (7.62 metres) away!
People at the company say that the XM42 is not dangerous. People need to point it away from people. People need to point it only at some things. It can help them. It can melt snow. It can burn bugs. It can burn plants that they do not want.
The company needs money for the flamethrower. It asks for help on the internet.
Difficult words: produce (to make), not dangerous (safe), melt (to turn into water).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you use this flamethrower?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.