Flooded road in China – level 3
Firefighters have rescued dozens of people trapped on two busses after heavy rains caused flash flooding in east China.
The drama unfolded in Hefei City at noon when more than 10 vehicles including a private bus and a public bus became trapped after torrential rains created massive flash floods on a low-lying section of the road.
Most people abandoned their vehicles and fled to safety, but the bus passengers, many of who were the elderly or children, waited for firefighters.
This footage shows the rescue operation underway with ladders being used to help the passengers climb to safety.
The passengers were brought to safety after a forty-minute rescue operation. No injuries were reported.
Difficult words: dozens (a lot), drama (serious situation), unfold (happen), trapped (stuck), torrential rains (rains which bring a lot of water), underway (being carried out).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.