Floods in the Balkans – level 2
There are floods in Serbia and Bosnia. The government evacuated more than 25,000 people. These are the worst floods in the Balkans in more than a century.
At least 37 people drowned in the two nations. Heavy rainfalls submerged towns in water. It destroyed many homes and roadways.
Residents near the Serbian capital spent days without electricity. They lived on the roofs of their houses. Some people had nothing, and their houses will go underweater. Some help arrived from Russia and the European Union.
Difficult words: drown (die because of water), submerge (to cover something completely with water), resident (person who lives somewhere).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever experienced floods?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos