Floods in the Balkans – level 3
More than 25,000 people have been evacuated from their homes in Serbia and Bosnia in the worst floods to hit the Balkans in more than a century.
At least 37 people have drowned or been killed in landslides in the two nations, as heavy rainfall submerged towns in water, destroying homes and roadways.
Residents near the Serbian capital of Belgrade have spent days without electricity in flooded homes, living on the roofs of their houses.
“All that I had is lost. We have nothing now. The house is broken. All is broken. Everything is gone. The house will go down.”
Rescue teams, humanitarian aid, water pumps and generators have arrived from Russia and several European Union member states to help the country, as it braces itself for another flood wave.
Difficult words: submerge (to cover something completely with water), flood wave (wave of water AND more problems with the floods).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.