Foie gras from a lab – level 1
Foie gras is a usual French delicacy. Many people love it. Foie gras is a part of every holiday.
Foie gras is made of duck or goose liver. A liver is a body part. It is very fatty. Farmers feed the birds with metal tubes. The birds eat too much. Their livers swell. It is a very cruel thing.
Many people do not like it. They stop eating foie gras. It is not possible to make or sell foie gras in some countries anymore.
A French company makes foie gras in a lab. Foie gras grows from the birds´ stem cells. A stem cell is a very small part of the body. Anything can grow from it.
Around 70 companies in the world make meat in a lab. The reason is that people care more about animals. Meat from a lab is more friendly to the natural world, too.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.