Foie gras from a lab – level 3
Foie gras, a fatty duck or goose liver, is considered by many as one of the most luxurious foods.
In France, its consumption is a ritual deeply rooted in the country´s traditions and culture; however, its decadence makes the brutality of how it´s made even more worse.
A controversial process known as gavage, where birds are force-fed several times a day through metal tubes until their livers swell, is considered savage.
Animal welfare concerns have made more than a dozen countries ban production, and even in France, around three quarters of people say that they´d prefer the delicacy without gavage if they had a choice.
Now a French startup´s making foie gras from duck stem cells harvested from a single fertilized egg. In stainless-steel tanks, the cells are fed nutrients to multiply and eventually form whatever tissue is desired. More than 70 startups globally are working on everything, from pork chops to kangaroo meat in response to environmental and livestock welfare concerns.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.