Football helps people in Jordan – level 1
People are unhappy in Syria. This is in March 2011. They do not like their government. They start to fight against it.
Other Syrians do not want to be around the fighting. They leave to other countries. They become refugees. One country that they go to is Jordan.
The people in Jordan want to help them. They want to help the children. The children are sad. They do not act like children. People help them play football.
Playing football makes them feel better. They act like children. They forget about their problems. They feel more normal.
Difficult words: government (the leaders of a country), refugee (a person who goes away from his country), act (to do things).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.