Football Player Emiliano Sala – level 3
Argentinian striker Emiliano Sala was flying from Nantes (France) to Cardiff (Wales) when his plane disappeared from radar on 21st of January.
Peopled called off the official search operation on 24th, but with the help of crowd-funding donations (which collected over €370,000) Sala’s family hired a professional shipwreck hunter to continue the search for the missing plane.
The private search was underway since February 3rd and on February 7th, people found Sala’s body, identified it and brought it to land. Tributes came in from around the world.
The footballer played for the Football Club Nantes from 2015 to 2019 when he moved to the Cardiff City Football Club. Sadly, he died even before his first training with the new team. The Cardiff City and FC Nantes managers gave emotional press conferences last Friday, saying that it was a loss, not only to everyone in football, but to the whole sporting community.
FC Nantes is going to have a memorial service and will retire the No. 9 jersey in his honour. The body of the pilot of the light plane has not yet been found.
Difficult words: striker (a forward or attacker in football), tribute (a message that you are feel emotions about someone or something and to show that you liked the thing or the person), jersey (the shirt worn by a player).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.