Football Team Changes Name – level 3
The NFL’s Washington Redskins announced earlier this month that their team name would undergo a thorough review.
The team’s head coach said that the team would develop a new name and logo and that the name would honor the military and Native Americans. The Redskins have had the name for nearly nine decades; however, some Native American groups and activists have criticized it as being an ethnic slur. A 2020 study found that 49% of Americans found the name offensive.
The name review came after nearly 90 investment firms and shareholders pushed the companies Nike, FedEx, and PepsiCo to stop doing business with the team if the name was not changed.
Difficult words: honor (to regard with great respect), ethnic slur (an insult about a group of people), shareholder (a person or company that owns a part of another company).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos