Forest fire in Chile – level 2
A forest fire swept through two regions in Chile. The fires began last Saturday, and more than 2,000 hectares burned since then. People evacuated around 100 homes.
Chile’s National Forest Corporation is working with the army and private companies to control the fires. It is not known for sure, but some people say that a domestic barbecue started these fires.
Thanks to the fire services, no houses burned down, but people still worried. Many houses there are made completely out of wood.
Difficult words: sweep (to move, hit), corporation (a large company or a group of companies), domestic barbecue (when people cook outside near their homes).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this fire?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.