Forest fire in Chile – level 3
Around 100 homes have been evacuated after devastating forest fires swept through two regions in Chile.
Valparaiso and Provincia de Arauco regions are under red alert, as more than 2,000 hectares of land have been burnt since the fires began on Saturday.
Helicopters and rescue services from the National Forest Corporation have been working with the army and private companies to control the huge blaze which is making its way towards the main roads and affecting traffic on a nearby highway.
The fire services commander said that without their contingency plan they wouldn’t have been able to prevent the houses from burning down.
This local resident said she was worried about her house going up in flames as many of them are made entirely out of wood.
It’s not yet known how the fires began, but it’s been reported that they may have been started by a domestic barbecue.
Difficult words: devastating (highly destructive), sweep (to move, hit), huge (very big), blaze (a fire), contingency plan (a plan which deals with possible future events or disasters), prevent (to stop something from happening), go up in flames (to burn), entirely (completely), domestic barbecue (when people meet and cook outside near their homes).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos