Fortress in Jerusalem – level 3
Israeli archaeologists unearthed what they think is an ancient Greek fortress in Jerusalem, which archaeologists have been looking for for more than two centuries.
Historians say that the 250-metre-long and 60-metre-wide fortress is where rebels took back Jerusalem from the Greeks, a victory marked in the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah.
The debate over the location of the 2,000-year-old acra has seen many claims that it stood in Jerusalem’s Old City at spots like the Christian Church of the Holy Sepulchre near where Jewish temples also lay, but the most recently unearthed remains are outside the walls overlooking an area known as the City of David.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this discovery?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.