Forty-three years a milkman – level 1
This story is about a milkman. He is British. His name is John. He delivers milk. He does this for 43 years. He delivers 4,731,764 litres of milk. Now, he is retiring.
His job is not just about the milk. It is about the customers. Many people are lonely. John gives them their milk, and he talks with them. This makes people happy.
John is married. Do you know how he met his wife? She was his customer!
Difficult words: deliver (to bring something to a customer), retire (to stop working), customer (a person who buys something), met (past of “meet”), was (past of “is”).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like your job?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos