Forty-three years a milkman – level 2
This story is about a British milkman. In 1972, John started delivering milk, and he kept his job until now. He delivered 4,731,764 litres of milk. Now, he is retiring.
However, he says that his job is about a lot more than just milk. It is about customers. A lot of people are lonely, and they get very happy when they see John and talk for a few minutes. It makes their day.
Because of his job, John also found the love of his life. His wife was originally just a customer.
Difficult words: deliver (to bring something to a customer at his or her house), retire (to stop working formally), customer (somebody who buys something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like your job?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos