Four men in the air – level 3
Is it a bird? is it a plane? No, these are actual people flying through the skies of New York City!
On Sunday morning, four members of an aerial sports team used wingsuits to fly over the Manhattan skyline.
Looking a little more like flying squirrels than flying humans in their special jumpsuits that combine skydiving and hang-gliding, the flyers were able to travel two miles in two minutes, getting this amazing view of New York City.
Aided by their wingsuits, the daredevils travelled at speeds of up to 120 miles per hour (75 kph).
Passing the iconic buildings of the financial district, they headed uptown where they deployed their parachutes, landing safely on a barge on the Hudson River.
Difficult words: skyline (outline of land and buildings), hang-gliding (flying a big wing), aid (help), daredevil (somebody who likes to do dangerous things), uptown (outside of the city towards the top of the city), deploy (open), barge (type of a boat).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.