France and Italy fight about migrants – level 2
A ship belongs to a French charity organization. It rescues migrants at sea between Libya and Italy. The ship wanted to dock in Italy, but Italy didn’t allow the ship to do it.
Some of the migrants were sick and they needed treatment. The captain asked several places to accept them, but they refused. After several weeks, the ship docked in the French port of Toulon, which was the first time for France to accept a ship with migrants. As a result, France refused to accept 3,500 asylum seekers from Italy.
In October, Giorgia Meloni became Italy’s first female prime minister. Since then, the relationship between Italy and France got worse because of the new government’s nationalistic ideas.
Difficult words: dock in (to stop your ship in a port), asylum seeker (someone who leaves his country to live in a safer one), nationalistic (when someone strongly supports his own country over all other countries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.