France and Russia fight together – level 3
In the wake of the Paris attack that claimed the lives of 129 people, France and Russia have stepped up their response against so-called Islamic State.
The French military has released video of fighter jets taking off for what it says are intensified airstrikes against Islamic State targets in Syria. Ten fighter jets were launched from the Persian Gulf and Jordan that successfully bombarded Islamic State command centres in the group’s stronghold of Raqqa.
Russia has also stepped up airstrikes against Islamist militants in Syria after the Kremlin said it wanted retribution against those responsible for blowing up a Russian airliner over Egypt. Putin made a speech on Tuesday in which he vowed to hunt down those responsible for killing 224 people in the plane attack. He urged his military to combine forces with the French and work with them as allies.
The two countries plan to take action against Islamic State both at sea and in the air. The Kremlin said in a separate statement the Putin and his French counterpart, François Hollande, had spoken on the phone and agreed to boost coordination of their military actions in Syria. Hollande is due in Moscow at the end of the month to discuss the fight against terrorism.
Meanwhile, an online video posted on the same day, apparently shows a motorcyclist in Syria dragging along a missile at the back of his vehicle. Anti-government activists said the missile caught fire in the air and was one of the foreseen directed towards southern Aleppo.
Islamic State said it carried out the attacks in Paris in retaliation for French and Russian air raids in Iraq and Syria.
Difficult words: in the wake of (following), step something up (to increase the amount), retribution (punishment), vow (promise), urge (to tell, to order), counterpart (“colleague”), boost (to increase), be due (to plan), drag (to pull), foreseen (expected, predicted), retaliation (revenge).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos