France Attack – level 2
Last week, a man killed three people with a knife in the French city of Nice. The attack happened inside a basilica in the historic center of the city.
Police shot the attacker, but they did not kill him. The man ended up in hospital in critical condition. Police said that the attacker was a 21-year old man from Tunisia, who came to France through Italy in September.
France declared a terror emergency level, and 4,000 soldiers will help protect schools, churches, and other places. Only weeks ago, a man killed a French teacher because he showed cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed in his class. This increased emotions in France over Islam and freedom of speech.
Difficult words: basilica (a type of church), terror (a very big fear of something dangerous), freedom of speech (when people can freely say what they think).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos