France Attack – level 3
At least three people were killed during a knife attack in the French city of Nice. The attack took place at a time of heightened tension in the country over Islam, secularism and freedom of speech.
Several other people were injured during the spree inside the Notre Dame basilica in the city center, and according to reports, one of the victims was beheaded. The knife man was shot by police and later, he was hospitalized in critical condition. He was identified as a Tunisian national, who was unknown to French intelligence services, and he entered Europe in September through Italy.
France has raised its national terror alert guidance to its highest emergency level, and up to 4,000 military personnel will be sent to increase security at schools, churches, and other places.
Difficult words: secularism (the belief that religion should not be involved with the ordinary social and political activities of a country), spree (a short period of time spent doing something in an excessive way), alert (the state of being watchful for possible danger).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.