France bans abayas in schools – level 3
France’s ban on abayas, full-length robes worn by some Muslim women, in state-run schools has sparked mixed reactions.
The move is a part of France’s commitment to secularism, which has been a sensitive topic since the ban on religious symbols in state schools was imposed in 2004. Education Minister Gabriel Attal explained the recent ban, citing breaches of rules due to students wearing religious attire. The decision has been praised by the conservative right and some school principals, but criticized by the left and academics who see it as stigmatizing. Critics argue that the ban fails to distinguish between fashion and religion and could lead to profiling based on identity.
The controversy echoes previous bans on headscarves and face veils that caused tensions within France’s Muslim community.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What implications does France's recent ban on abayas in state-run schools have on religious freedom?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.