France fights anorexia – level 2
Around 40,000 people in France suffer from anorexia which is a disease which makes people stop eating. Nine out of ten of them are women.
The French government is trying to fight anorexia – the French Parliament passed a bill. It says in the bill, that a fashion model must see a doctor who says if the model is too thin or healthy. If a modelling agency hires an unhealthy model, the government can fine it up to 75,000 euros.
There are websites on the Internet that write about anorexia and tell people that it is OK. These websites are called “Pro-ana” websites. The French government wants to stop these websites.
Difficult words: bill (a new law which is brought to parliament and the people discuss it), hire (to pay somebody to do some work), fine (to make somebody pay money for doing something illegal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is this new law a good idea? What do you think?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos