France Helps Abused Women – level 2
In Paris and other French cities, thousands of people protested against domestic violence.
France is a country with one of the highest number of cases of domestic violence in Europe. This year, more than 100 women died because their partners killed them.
French officials want to change the situation and they introduced a plan on how to do it. The plan includes bigger penalties for people who behave badly towards their partners. It is also possible that these people start to wear electronic bracelets. Officials also want to create 1,000 new places in homes for abused women.
The French president, Emanuel Macron, said that the plan is good, and he wants to support it.
Difficult words: domestic violence (a bad behavior at home, usually when somebody does bad things to their partner), electronic bracelet (a device that a person must wear on a hand so that the police can control this person), abused (an object of a very bad behavior).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.