France protests – level 3
One police and a protester were seriously injured in clashes during an unauthorized demonstration against the construction of a reservoir for farm irrigation in Western France.
At least 6,000 protesters joined the march and they threw fireworks and other projectiles at the police as they crossed fields to approach the construction area.
France’s worst drought on record last summer sharpened the debate over water resources in the European Union’s biggest agricultural sector. Supporters said that artificial reservoirs were a way to use water efficiently when needed. However, critics called the reservoirs mega basins that were outsized and favored large farms.
The irrigation project protest comes after weeks of anti-pension reform demonstrations that have turned violent. The French government pushed through the legislation without a final parliamentary vote.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What implications do the anti-pension reform demonstrations and this reservoir construction project have on France's economy and society?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.