France’s Heatwave – level 2
According to France’s health ministry, almost 1,500 people died this summer because of two record–breaking heatwaves. The temperatures went as high as 45.5 degrees Celsius.
Health officials say that the number is about 1,000 more deaths than normal for the summer, and many of the victims were older than 75 years old.
However, a health official said that France prevented a higher number of deaths. Many big parks and swimming pools stayed open, and officials opened “cool rooms” in Paris.
The June heatwave set very high temperatures in seven other European countries. Due to the higher temperatures, more Europeans are buying air conditioners.
Difficult words: health ministry (the part of a government that works on people’s health), record-breaking (when something changes the records because of how low or high it is), prevent (stop something bad from happening).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.