Franz Beckenbauer dies – level 3
German soccer icon Franz Beckenbauer has passed away at the age of 78 after a long and influential career spanning over 50 years.
Known for his dominant presence on the pitch, Beckenbauer excelled as a player, coach, pundit, and administrator. He played a crucial role in West Germany and Bayern Munich during the 1960s and ‘70s, earning recognition as a classy midfielder and central defensive sweeper. His impact extended to managerial success, winning the 1972 European Championship and captaining the 1974 World Cup-winning team. As a coach, he secured another World Cup victory for Germany in 1990.
Beckenbauer’s death elicited reactions from politicians, fans, colleagues, and football clubs. German leader Olaf Scholz acknowledged him as one of the greatest footballers in Germany, often referred to as the ‘Kaiser’ or Emperor.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Which notable titles did Franz Beckenbauer win during his impressive soccer career?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.