Free Internet – level 3
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) repealed the rules for net neutrality and a federal appeals court confirmed it. According to the rules, the FCC could prohibit states from making their own laws on net neutrality. The FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel said that it is unlawful, and that states must protect an open Internet for their citizens. The FCC must change the rules and check if the repeal can affect public safety.
FCC Chairmain Ajit Pai welcomed the court´s decision. He said that there is free and open Internet and promised that it will be free in the future, too.
In 2015, the rules adopted said that the Internet must be neutral but in 2017, the FCC repealed the rules.
Difficult words: repeal (cancel a law), net neutrality (the idea that the Internet is a place that belongs to everyone and you should not have to pay extra to use it), prohibit (make formally impossible), neutral (something that is no one controls).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.