French baguette gets UNESCO status – level 3
Baker Stéphane Grattier presented French president Emmanuel Macron with a baguette while Macron spoke at the French Embassy in Washington, USA.
The United Nations added the French baguette to the list of intangible cultural heritage as a cherished tradition that humanity should preserve. Last week, UNESCO experts gathered in Morocco, and they decided that the simple French flute made from flour, water, salt and yeast deserved UN recognition. With the bread’s new status, the French government plans to start an artisanal baguette day.
Although France produces around 16 million baguettes a day, France’s culture ministry warned of a continuous decline in the number of traditional bakeries. Almost 400 bakeries have closed every year over the past half-century.
Difficult words: intangible cultural heritage (unable to see or feel the history or traditions of a culture), cherish (protect and care for someone of something), artisanal (traditional method by someone skilled with his hands).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.