French police and immigrants – level 3
French riot police have been evacuating campsites housing hundreds of immigrants in Calais. Today, police are in the process of removing between 600 and 800 immigrants from Asia, the Middle East and Africa who are occupying camps near the port.
Several busloads of police in riot gear arrived at the camps early this morning, after a deadline for people to leave expired.
After a stand-off with local activists, the officers moved in and told migrants to pack their bags. The authorities say the evictions are needed on the grounds that the makeshift camps pose problems for public health and safety.
For years, Calais has attracted floods of immigrants fleeing poverty or conflict in their countries, many of them hoping to try to get to Britain.
The operation comes days after the anti-immigrant National Front party hammered the ruling Socialists in the European election.
Difficult words: riot police (police which usually fights aggressive protesters), eviction (making somebody leave), on the grounds (because), makeshift (not for a long time), hammer (beat).
Do you have a lot of immigrants in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos