French priest killed – level 2
In Normandy, France, there was an attack in which two men held a priest, two nuns, and two worshippers hostage. The two men cut the 80-year-old priest’s throat and he died. French police said that they shot both men dead.
The incident comes as France remains on high alert nearly two weeks after a man ran into a crowd of people in Nice. The people were celebrating Bastille Day. Eighty-four of them died and the attack injured more than 300.
Difficult words: hold hostage (if you hold somebody hostage, you keep him or her somewhere to get something that you want), nun (a woman who serves god), worshipper (a believer in god).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos