French Priest killed – level 3
A priest in his 80s has died after his throat was slit by two men who held him hostage in Normandy. French police have confirmed they shot both men dead. The hostages were said to include the priest, two nuns and two worshippers.
The attack took place in the town of St. Etienne du Rouvray. Police have blocked off the roads around the church and paramedics have been seen pulling stretchers out of ambulances.
French president Francoise Hollande has arrived at the site of the attack. The Paris Prosecutor’s office said the case has been handed to anti-terrorism judges for investigation.
The incident comes as France remains on high alert nearly two weeks after a man plowed a truck into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille Day in Nice, killing 84 and injuring more than 300.
Difficult words: slit (cut), hostage (a person that another person keeps somewhere so he can get something), worshipper (a religious person), stretcher (a flat, thin bed that you lay so people can carry you when you are hurt or sick), plow (run into).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos