French soldiers leave Burkina Faso – level 2
Last week, Burkina Faso announced that it would end a 2018 deal with France, and all French soldiers had to leave the country.
Burkina Faso has big problems with militant groups who control large parts of the country. Millions of people left their homes because of violent conflicts. The spokesman of Burkina Faso’s government said that the country needed to defend itself, but it would still need guns from France.
France is losing power in its former colonies, such as Burkina Faso or Mali. Last year, French soldiers left Mali, and the country hired Russian soldiers to fight the militants. The French president replied that Russia wanted power in troubled African countries.
Difficult words: militant group (a group of people who fight against the government), defend (to keep safe from attack or harm), colony (a country or area which is under the control of another country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What was the deal between France and Burkina Faso?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos