French Spider Man climbs a tall building – level 3
A French climber has scaled one of Dubai’s tallest skyscrapers. Fifty-two-year-old Alain Robert relied on just chalk and sticky tape on his fingertips to help him up the 75-storey-high Cayan Tower.
Alain completed the 307 metre-high (1,007 feet) structure in just 70 minutes. He had no harness and little space for his feet on the ledges of the tower.
“Finally, at the end of the day, I knew that once I was going to start the ascent, everything would be okay. I would be completely focused and I would be fighting like a tiger.”
The French climber, who’s also known as the French Spider Man, is no stranger to scaling tall buildings. Back in 2011, he climbed the world’s tallest tower in Dubai, the Burj Khalifa.
Difficult words: scale (to climb up high), harness (a rope to hold you up so you cannot fall), ledge (thin piece of concrete on a wall), ascent (when you climb up something), be no stranger (to have experience).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.