Frozen food helps hot animals – level 3
Animals in Brazil have been feeling the heat, so what better way to cool off than with some ice lollies?
Yes, that’s right! Keepers at Rio de Janeiro’s Jardim Zoological Zoo have been handing out ice-cold treats, including frozen meats and flavoured ice cream to keep their residents cool.
Temperatures have soared as high as 48°C in Brazil this summer, so the zoo has ordered all its food to be delivered in blocks of ice.
“These frozen fruits and the ice cream help the animals keep cool in this heat which also helps against fatigue. Giving them ice cream refreshes them and increases their physical activity. It stimulates their activity in this environment.”
Around two tonnes of food, including fruits such as watermelon and mango, have been distributed daily to the 2700 animals at the zoo during the heat wave.
Difficult words: ice lolly (flavoured ice or ice cream on a stick), treat (something tasty), resident (an animal or a person who lives somewhere), soar (to go up rapidly), fatigue (being very tired), stimulate (to encourage), distribute (to give out).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.