Frozen Pants Challenge – level 3
The US has seen temperatures plummet in a weather condition known as the polar vortex in recent weeks.
However, Americans have come up with a novel way to have some fun in the harsh conditions, and social media is being populated with photos of frozen pants left out in the cold to stand upright all on their own.
If you want to enter the frozen pants challenge, here’s how it works. You soak your pants in water and then hang them on a clothesline or outside railing and let them freeze. Before they reach stiff-as-a-board status, you shape them to look as if there was an actual body inside. Then you simply stand them outside like you might place a snowman.
The challenge isn’t only limited to pants. People have been freezing pajama pants, hockey and karate uniforms, and even police uniforms.
Difficult words: plummet (to fall rapidly), polar vortex (a large area of low pressure and cold air that surrounds both of the Earth’s poles, and it becomes stronger in winter), populated (occupied in large numbers).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.