Fukushima Ten Years Later – level 1
An earthquake is in Japan 10 years ago. The earthquake destroys a nuclear power plant in Fukushima.
People who live near Fukushima worry. Radiation is in the area. Radiation is a type of energy. It can be in nuclear power plants. It is very dangerous to all living things. Radiation stays in food and water, too.
Some women do not know what food they can give to their children. A group of women start to run a lab. They check radiation in the area every day.
They must learn how to do it. They are not scientists. People send them food from their gardens. They check it.
The radiation is lower. Some food is safe now. Some food still has high radiation. These are for example, bamboo and wild vegetables.
Difficult words: nuclear power plant (a factory which makes energy from a very small things called atoms), lab (a place where scientists work), bamboo (a hard grass which looks like a tree and it grows very fast).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos