Fukushima Water in Ocean – level 3
Japanese media said that, starting in 2022, the government was planning to slowly dump more than 1 million tons of treated radioactive water from the Fukushima nuclear disaster into the sea.
The question of what to do with the wastewater has been a contentious point for some time, and now, the Japanese government is running out of space and time. Some of the water was used to cool the nuclear plant after a devastating earthquake and tsunami in 2011. The rest is a collection of contaminated rainwater and groundwater, and it has been collected in tanks. However, it takes up space, and it is a threat for workers because of the radiation levels.
Although the water has been filtered, some radioactive isotopes were too difficult to remove. Fishermen in the area fear that the government´s decision could turn consumers away from their products.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.