Fukushima water will get into the ocean – level 2
United Nations agreed that Japan can release treated radioactive water from the Fukushima plant into the ocean.
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) made a two-year review and concluded that it was safe to release the water into the ocean. There will be only minimal impact on the natural world. Japan insists that the water release is safe, because experts removed most radioactive elements, leaving only tritium. But Japanese fishing unions, neighboring countries, and China worry about the plan.
Japan didn’t announce the date for the water release. The country is awaiting official approval from the national nuclear regulatory body.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the potential environmental impacts of releasing the treated radioactive water from the Fukushima plant into the ocean?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.