Gang destroys machines – level 2
A gang in England attacked six ticket machines. They used angle grinders and pickaxes to open the machines and steal the money.
Security cameras filmed two of the gang’s attacks. The men tried to break the security cameras at some stations, but the police have good-quality footage. One man’s face was filmed quite clearly.
The gang has caused more than £100,000 worth of damage since April. They stole just over £3,000.
Difficult words: angle grinder (machine used for cutting metal), pickaxe (large tool used for breaking up the ground), footage (video).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have gangs in your city?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.