Gang destroys machines – level 3
Caught on CCTV, the timeline of a gang targeting stations across North London and Hertfordshire.
Since April, the gang have used angle grinders and pickaxes to break open ticket machines at six stations.
The dramatic footage shows the men in action at Hadley Wood on Monday 19th May, where they caused £23,000 worth of damage and stole £650 in cash.
The day before the men were captured at Watton-at-Stone, they previously raided a machine at Oakleigh Park that night. On this occasion they got away with more than £900 in cash from the two machines and caused an estimated £30,000 worth of damage.
In the footage, the gang is clearly seen attacking the machines and forcing the front open to get at the cash boxes inside.
Even though the men did attempt to disable the security cameras at some stations, there is still good quality footage, including clear images of one man’s face.
Since April, the gang have caused more than £100,000 worth of damage at station and they’ve got away with just over £3,000.
Difficult words: CCTV (security camera), timeline (events in order), angle grinder (machine used for cutting metal), pickaxe (large tool used for breaking up the ground), raid (attack).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.