Gay pride event in Istanbul – level 1
In the USA, the Supreme Court is the most powerful court. It makes same-sex marriage legal in the USA. This means that men can marry men, and women can marry women.
In Turkey, there is a gay pride event. It is the biggest gay pride event in the Muslim world. People want same-sex marriage to be legal, too. They do not want to be killed. They also want women and animals to be safe.
Police attack these people. They shoot at them. They make them run away.
Difficult words: court (a place where some people say what people can or cannot do), marriage (when two people are together, they are married; this is called marriage), legal (you can do something legal), gay pride event (an event when people go through the streets to have fun and to say they want rights to be gay).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about what happened to these people?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.