Gays and Lesbians Can Marry – level 1
A gay man is a man who likes other men. A lesbian woman is a woman who likes other women.
Gay and lesbian people in Costa Rica are happy. Since May 26, gay and lesbian people can marry their partners. Costa Rica is the first country in Central America where this is legal.
In 2018, Costa Rica’s most important court checks the rights of gay and lesbian people. These people must have the right to marry. The government has 18 months to make a new law. However, the government does not do it. The court must do it.
Gay and lesbian people celebrate the new law. Many weddings take place on the first day. The president of Costa Rica celebrates, too. He says that the law brings important changes for people.
Difficult words: partner (the person that you love and want to live with), legal (when something is officially possible), right (something what a person can do or have and nobody can take it away), law (official rules of a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.