Gays and Lesbians Can Marry – level 2
Costa Rica became the first country in Central America and the sixth county in Latin America that allows same-sex marriages. Same-sex marriage is a marriage between two men or two women.
In 2018, Costa Rica’s highest court decided that same-sex marriage must be legal in the country. The government had 18 months to prepare a new law and to make same-sex marriage legal. However, the government did not do it. As a result, on May 26, same-sex marriage became legal because the highest court decided it.
The president of Costa Rica celebrated the new law. He said that it would make important changes in society and culture. Same-sex couples celebrated too, and there were many weddings on the first day when the law came into force.
Difficult words: law (a rule of a country), same-sex couple (a couple of two men or two women), come into force (when a law or rule becomes active).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos