Gene Wilder – level 2
Millions knew Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka in the 1971 film “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”. An actress from the film described him as kind, generous and patient.
Wilder’s sense of comedy was irresistibly funny. His performance in “Young Frankenstein” and “Blazing Saddles” earned him Oscar nominations.
Wilder suffered from Alzheimer’s but nobody knew except his family. He chose not to tell people because he did not want anybody to worry. He died on Monday at the age of 83.
Difficult words: irresistibly (very), blazing (very hot), saddle (a seat on the back of a horse).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos