German Airlines Strike – level 2
Lufthansa has a low-cost airlines business called Eurowings, which has had to cancel more than 170 flights because of a 3-day flight attendant strike.
The flight attendants work for Germanwings, which runs German flights. Their union is fighting with Lufthansa about part-time work regulations, and the union told the workers to strike.
The canceled flights were going to happen from Monday through Wednesday of this week. Eurowings said that it did not understand the strike, and it wanted to give people normal flight schedules between Christmas and the New Year.
A past strike by this union made the airline cancel 1,500 flights.
Difficult words: strike (this happens when workers stop work so they can get their business to help them with something), union (a group of people who help workers to have better conditions at work), regulation (a rule).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos