Germany and electricity – level 1
In 2022, Germany wants to close all its nuclear power plants. The country will also close all coal power plants. Coal is a dark black or brown rock. It comes from plants. People burn it to make energy.
Energy is the thing we use to run vehicles, electricity, and many things.
Germany is the biggest economy in Europe. It buys a lot of oil from Russia. Many Western countries are not happy.
Germany has a plan. By 2035, the country wants to use only energy from renewable resources. Renewable resources are for things like wind or energy from the sun.
Germany says that it will have as much energy as 10 nuclear power plants. A German official calls this energy the energy of freedom.
Difficult words: nuclear power plant (a factory which makes electricity by breaking very small special things called atoms), economy (all the business activities of a country), freedom (when someone or something is free).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos