Germany and electricity – level 3
By 2035, Germany plans to complete all its electricity needs with supplies from renewable resources.
Europe’s biggest economy has been pressured from other Western nations to depend less on Russian gas. However, its plans left the country with few options; by 2022, it wants to phase out coal-fired power plants and to shut its nuclear power plants.
According to officials, the country’s energy from wind or solar power should be 80% by 2030. By then, solar energy would more than triple. The country’s onshore wind energy power should double to up to 110 gigawatts, and offshore wind energy power should reach 30 gigawatts. All of the energy would be the same as the power of 10 nuclear power plants.
The German Finance Minister referred to renewable electricity resources as the energy of freedom.
Difficult words: renewable resource (an energy source that can’t be used up, such as wind or sunlight), phase out (to gradually stop using something), gigawatt (a unit of power equal to one billion watts).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos